Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Assignment 7

1. What problems does the article mention that children run into when they use search engines?
A problem that children run into is using search engines. they ask  questions directly. they have trouble finding things. It mentions that children often have trouble find the correct thing on search engines.

2. What suggestions have been offered for how search engines can improve their product to lessen children’s problems searching?
They are making the search of results more for kids. Instead of searching the specific word or sentence. The alternative would be to show any type of image or video in which they would just click on. Then that would lead them to what they want to search

3. Do you search using keywords or questions? How does the  article characterize these two types of searching?

Most of the time I do search using keywords but other times I just type what I feel will specify the results. The article specifies these two types of searching by explaining the differences between them.  Its says that to find the information you want, it is necessary to type the right keywords.
4. Have you tried using images or videos to search? How does the article characterize this type of searching?
I have tried using videos and images to search before. But I don’t do this so often because sometimes it does take longer to find what I am looking for.  When I research, I just use keywords  to find information on my topic through Google. If I need to find an image, that's when I use Google images.
5. What advice would you give to Internet search engine developers (like Google or Bing) for how they should improve their product? Do you think any of the improvements mentioned in the article are particularly promising? Why?
I would give the developers of search engines is to not always put Wikipedia on top, to put more reliable sources first. An idea mentioned in the article that I liked was the using images to search for things. I think its a lot more user friendly and easier, therefore attracting more users.

No comments:

Post a Comment